Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Favourite and least favourite Math Teachers

It is often said that we usually remember our best and worst teachers and, most of the time, forget about the average ones. This is true to a great extent.

My first memory of having a great math teacher was in Grade 9, when I had a teacher who took teaching us math really seriously and was actually worried about whether we understood it or not. I still remember learning geometry concepts from him, especially the Pythagorean Theorem, and proving how it came into existence. I used to hate math before that, and somehow, his teaching in Grades 9 and 10 helped me develop a keen interest in it. He is probably the major reason I took math even more seriously in my Grade 11 and 12 studies and ended up taking it as a major in college. I am so grateful that I had Mr. S as my math teacher in school, especially when I had a lot of anxiety around math learning.

I did not have any really bad math teachers in particular; I just had a couple of math professors in my undergrad who really did not care if we understood the concepts or not. They would just lecture, dump materials on us, and leave.

As I look back and think about being a math teacher, I realize that an educator can have a huge impact on our life trajectory. My own bittersweet experiences with math educators serve as examples of the kind of math teacher I want, and do not want, to be for my future students. As I prepare to take up the 'mantle of the teacher,' my goal is to act as a gardener in the classroom, preparing the soil for deep, concept-based understanding and providing steady support, rather than simply dumping information and leaving.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, your metaphor of ‘dumping information’ is a powerful one, Parminder! And isn’t it fascinating the way we as humans remember the people who make a strong positive or negative impression on us, and tend to disregard the rest? I wonder why that is so!

    ReplyDelete

From Nadal’s Dodecahedron to Our Icosahedron

Group Members: Francisco, Jasmeet and Parminder Original Artwork: Desconstrucció d'un dodecàedre by Josep Rey Nadal Remaking the Origin...